Saturday 2 February 2013

Windows Phone 7.8 Upgrade via the Internet Disconnect Trick

Internet Collective,

I've been anxiously awaiting to upgrade my (Rogers Branded) Nokia Lumia 900 to 7.8 for months. I read that the update would be available by the end of January, but here we are and still no update...

I checked the Net tonight to see if anyone had any leads and lo and behold, there's a nifty shortcut going around that Actually works!

I decided to give the “Disconnected Internet” trick a shot. and BAM an update is available! Right now I’m going to OS Version 7.10.8779.8 but I’m assuming this is a prerequisite for Windows Phone 7.8.

The reason you have to do this to get the update is only because carriers are not officially rolling out the update. If you are on a carrier that is officially rolling it out, updates will be automatic. But with carriers that are reluctant to put out the update, this tricks the Zune client into delivering the update without the carrier's permission.

I had to do it 3 times - one for each update. I found step 6 really important - the closer I could get to 8 seconds, the more likely the update would be found.

PLEASE NOTE: NEVER UN PLUG YOUR PHONE FROM THE COMPUTER WHEN THE UPDATE IS ACTUALLY INSTALLING ON THE PHONE ITSELF. THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR PHONE.

To force the update:

1) Turn off cellular data, and Wifi on your Lumia 900.

2) Connect to Zune, check for updates. It won’t detect one.

3) Change to a different tab other than update in the settings.

4) Disconnect phone, then reconnect it.

5) Now, get ready. You will need to hit the “Update” button and unplug the network cable from your computer exactly 8 seconds after hitting this button. It will present an update is available!

6) Reconnect internet, then hit Update!

7) Now update!

8) Repeat a few times, I’ll post how many updates there are below!

You will need to perform this a bunch of times to make sure that all the prerequisite updates and 7.8 itself gets installed! I’m updating this post as I’m performing this! If you don’t have luck, keep trying! I think the update servers are getting hammered pretty hard, so this may have an effect on plugging the internet at the right time!

First Update (to):
7.10.8779.8

Second Update (to):
7.10.8783.12

Third Update (to):
7.10.8858.136

I’ve had to perform the trick over 10 times to get these 3 updates! Keep trying if it doesn’t work.

Description for the 3rd update looks like it is Windows Phone 7.8. I’ve embedded a screenshot below:

Update for Lumia 900 on Rogers using Zune Disconnect Trick. Third update is 7.10.8858.136

Good Luck!

RPM

3 comments:

  1. whatt my point is that in the 5 step when we disconnect the net conncetion, it says we cannot connect to net to check updates.so how would it den tell us dat an update is available???.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trick is all in the timing of step 5...if u disconnect at approx 8 seconds it will fool the system into telling u an update is available. Then u reconnect and start the update. This procedure is tricky but it definitely works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It works!!!!! I have Windows 7.8 on my Nokia Lumia 900 T-Mobile (Unlocked). I got it better around 9 seconds, not 8 seconds for me.

    ReplyDelete

RPM Tech Widget

Search Box

Blog Archive